Monday, December 17, 2012

On Faith



Pardon  my  Modernism: Save  me  from  the  stake

Heresy  is  the  schism in  my  lack  of  faith

This  collective  insanity accepted  as  right

This  mass of  Christianity

From  medieval  to  the  Third  Reich

I  rate  Allah  with  Jesus

And  Vishnu  and  Zeus

I  don’t  claim  I’m  lucky  enough

To  know  the  truth

I  raise  doubt  in  doctrine and religion

I  wouldn’t  wage  war  over

Divinity  and  resurrection

We  all  inherit  Grandpa’s  superstitions

That  never  left  any  room  to  fix  them

I  heard  the  world  is  round and God is dead

And  about  common  sense  and  evidence

And  a  lot  of  sitting  on  the  fence

Impossible  is  the  reformation

Of  a  promise  of  hellfire

Without  admitting  that  the  entire

Document  and  doctrine  and  dogma  is  tired

We  learned  about  germs

And  quit  blaming  the  witches

But  the  demons  at  bay

Still  exist  to  the  Christians

Who  ignore  carbon  dating  that  doesn’t  concur

Like  the  prophecy  fulfillments

That  Saint  John  inserts

I  used  to  set  myself  on  fire  on  Sundays

Now  I  laugh  in  the  face  of  that  flame

And  all  I  know  about  faith

Is  that  it’s  a  willingness  to  wait

I  won’t  do  it  with  a  bomb strapped  to  my  chest

I  won’t  do  it  as  a  moderate

And  nod  my  head.

No comments:

Post a Comment