Monday, December 17, 2012

Labels


 
Bout to head into the third of my nine lives

All I get unless they figure out how to extend life or stop time

Life One under Mama and Daddy’s watchful, um, Thumb,

I was Sissy and Cassy and Baby-Cakes

I was Pentacostal Christian Saved

Spelling Bee Champ Nerd, a Teacher’s Pet

And Stephanie’s Best Friend

Life Two the Terrible Teens

A Skater and a Nerd and A Dork first

But then I was Raymond’s Girl

A Sinner and a Saint depending on the day

CASSARDA when I couldn’t get my way

Now my twenties:

I have been Lower Class and Working Class too

Trailer Trash and White Trash too

Both the Petitioner and the Defendant at times

An ex-girlfriend and an ex-wife

An American Arizonan, Liberal, Leftist, Democratic, Pacifist

Agnostic first, but also a Cynic and a Pragmatist

A Single Mom and a Prodigal Daughter

A Friend with Benefits, an Adultress

A Puppet and a Slave: I’ve been a Princess and a Queen

A Sister and a BFF and an Enemy

A Lover and a Fighter, always a Writer

I’m an Academic and a College Grad

A Blue Collar Construction Worker Tradesman

I have been somebody’s Baby and somebody’s Lady

(But not lately)

Peeling off all these layers of labels

And gathering the ones I swept under the rug and the table

I am glad to have loved and lived and become

Every single one of them

No comments:

Post a Comment