Monday, December 17, 2012

Iron Maiden: Life of an Ironworker Mom (an article)



Los Angeles, 2006


          In the dark of dawn on the top floor of a hotel room in a suburb of L.A. I can’t remember, I watch the bedside alarm clock until it is about to ring, then shut it off. Like a farmer’s my body knows to wake up before it is light. In the other bed, my four-year-old daughter stirs. She will be the first child dropped off at daycare, as well as the new kid, and she will be the last one picked up, too. I don’t wake her until I have to, after I have showered and dressed in my levis and long-sleeved shirt and tied my blond hair in a ponytail. Then I shake her gently and she stretches and goes to the window, looking at the freeway spinning below us. “Where are we?” She doesn’t know because she slept as I carried her in around midnight when I drove in.

          I started being a single parent at nineteen, and I started being a structural iron-worker and welder at twenty-two, in Phoenix, Arizona. I never thought I would be either one, but since that is the way it turned out, I made the best of it. Growing up I never wanted anything but to be a writer or a social worker, but college wasn’t an immediate option for me and I had to make some money. I never thought much about construction before, I mean, how buildings are made, and when I was hired by an ironwork company out of Washington state as a driver and laborer in 2004, I had no idea what I was in for.

          My first morning on the job I watched my co-workers, all male, as they put on full body harnesses weighted down with tools and climbed into heavy machinery and up onto the skeleton structure. They were walking about on long beams five inches wide and twenty feet across, high in the air like a circus act. What was I doing here? I reminded myself that I was already making more money than I ever had made before, and that I had a little girl to support. I also reminded myself that this wasn’t much more dangerous than all the cliff jumping at Salt River and rock climbing in Devil’s Canyon that I was used to. “I can do this,” I told myself. “Piece of cake.”

          At first I ran errands and put the gas in the trucks and welders and eventually I began to learn how to use the aerial lifts and I had to put on a harness myself and get on the iron. I will never forget the day I first got on the iron, shaking like a leaf as my boot left the scissor life and I found myself sitting on the beam. Shaking, I tried not to look down or around as I shoved my bolts through the holes at the connection point and tightened them with my wrench. Then I had to make my way fifteen feet across the beam to the next connection. Taking a huge breath I made sure the beamer connected by a four foot nylon length attached to my body harness was tightly clamped to the beam, and I stood. I counted under my breath as I made it across, stepping as gracefully as I could. I was being watched. “Walk faster,” some one called from below. “Stay ahead of the wobble.” I quickened my pace and sure enough, the beam moved less, and soon I sank into a sitting position on the other side, grinning to myself. I was a circus act! 

          After the first job the company began to fly me all over the West Coast for jobs, and I learned how to weld. At first it was difficult for me to keep a steady bead rolling, but after awhile my eyes got used to steadily pulling the bright ball of orange color around under my dark welding hood. I learned to operate the forklift, too, often being the operator who handled most gracefully, but also capable of showing that I am a female driver, being reprimanded for speeding. The hours were usually long, as commercial construction work can be, and often we did not stay at one hotel and job-site for more than a month.

          My daughter and I treated it like a permanent vacation. In every new cities we would see all the sights and buy souvenirs: Disneyland, Vegas, Yellowstone, the Redwoods, Six Flags, Hollywood, the beach. I played with the money I made as well as bought whatever we needed. But life wasn’t all fun and games. Working outside in the natural elements is tough, and we seemed to follow the inconvenient weather around. In Vegas in the summer, drenched in sweat before the sun was up, in Portland in Autumn when the rain never stopped and you had to wear medical gloves under the welding ones so you wouldn’t get shocked. Then there was the physical strength the job required. I was sore all the time from trying to carry my own weight as the guys, swing my beater just as hard, lift up my end of a heavy piece of material. I also once lit my pants on fire with a sheet metal chop-saw and I once slashed a terrific scar in my thigh with a grinder. Countless small welding scars dot my forearms where I couldn’t brush the molten metal off before it burned through my sleeves, and once I even had a huge girder drop on top of the lift I stood in but I was not hurt. But I never fell, and I never quit. Now and then I even had to deal with a jerk who didn’t think the job-site was a woman’s place, and let me know he felt that way in one way or another. I had to earn my place among them, and carrying my own weight with my newly acquired skills and also being friendly but taking no harassment was essential.
    

Flagstaff, Arizona, 2008


          The skeleton of the new Flagstaff Medical Center looked beautiful covered in a blanket of snow, but I was not looking forward to shoveling it off. I put my new car in park and crossed the ice to the concrete slab where the guys were gathered around the boom truck warming their hands around coffee cups. They greeted me as the foreman spread the blue-prints across his truck bed. “Cassandra you take this west half of the building and make sure all the ledger is welded,” he said. I had been working for this fabrication shop and iron erection company since moving to Flagstaff, so my daughter could start kindergarten. Traveling wasn’t an option if I wanted her to do well in school, I reasoned. So I had taken a pay cut, set my vacation lifestyle aside, and rented a beautiful house with my brother.

          I warmed my hands on the exhaust of my welder, adjusted its heat, and pulled my harness over my back. At least I wouldn’t have to carry that much weight today, no heavy tools or bolts, just my chipping hammer and welding rods and the steel plate I used for scraping snow. I could still barely buckle my harness over the thick Carhart coat with several layers underneath. I let my scissor lift warm up while I wrote down my measurements on a piece of cardboard with frozen fingers. I squinted at the drawings. Some things I still had some trouble with. A shadow appeared beside me, and a guy on my crew I hadn’t met before said hello. He complimented yesterday’s welds and helped me find my measurements on the blueprints. “What made you want to do ironwork,” he wanted to know. Ah, the million dollar question. I told him the story of how I had been hired as a driver after meeting some ironworkers at the hotel where they were staying (and I was working) in Arizona. But then I added something different. “It’s not a lifelong career,” I said.


Phoenix, Arizona, 2010


          “So what exactly can you do?” I stared back at the big, hulking foreman, his sleeves rolled up to reveal tattoos of spud-wrenches, women, and skulls. I was insulted. Just because my hard hat was pink and I was as pretty as the girl tattooed on his arm didn’t mean I had showed up at the job-site unskilled. “What needs to get done, boss?” Testing me, he sent me to the roof, seven floors up, with no aerial lift, to bolt up. I took the ladder to the beam on the first floor, and took the next ladder to the beam on the second, and so forth. At last I stood overlooking all of downtown Phoenix, and way down at the foreman’s tiny hard-hat as he stretched his neck to look up at me.

          I shoved the bolts through the holes at the connection point, having trouble with one so I had to stick the bull-pin in the one next to it and beat it through. In the hot summer sun I bolted up all morning, and when lunch came I made my way down, throwing off my tools, my harness cutting a sweaty X into the back of my T-shirt. The foreman caught up with me as I neared my truck. “Hey, welcome to the crew,” he said, grinning.  I had passed initiation, but I wasn’t surprised like he was. I knew by now that I was comfortable with what I did.

          I had started going to college online to become a social worker in 2009, and moved to Phoenix for job opportunities and warm weather. By 2012 I planned to quit ironwork and have a desk job, and have time to follow my other dreams like writing and joining the Peace Corps. But for now I had to put up with the latest iron work company. I had developed quite an issue with dating ironworkers, having fallen in love with two of these wild, arrogant men already. Unfortunately the lifestyle that comes with the job usually includes drinking, womanizing, and partying, and neither one of them proved that stereotype to be wrong! So here I was, 27, still single, and with no opportunities to meet men outside of work between parenting and online college! I knew I would be alright though, as I kept providing for my daughter and looking toward the future.


Globe, Arizona, 2012


My hard-hat hangs on the wall of my library and every now and then I put it on my head, and nostalgia for the incredible career than fell in my lap overwhelms me. I wish my grandpa would have lived to see me do construction, as he had done. But I live knowing that my daughter, now in fourth grade, will never question a woman picking her own place in this man’s world. In 2011 I graduated with a degree in Human Services Management and next year I will also have my bachelor’s in Sociology. For two years I moved to my hometown and worked for several more ironwork companies in the Phoenix area, commuting more than a hundred miles a day. The economic problems of the decade took their toll and I was also laid off several times, struggling to make ends meet, having little work experience besides construction under my belt, and being spoiled to the decent wages I was used to.

The last company fired a foreman over a sexual harassment issue I owed it to myself to report, because after eight years on the field as the only woman, there comes a time when a woman just takes no more crap. I was waking before sunlight to drive for an hour and a half, work for ten hours, drive back, and do schoolwork late into the night, and the precious time I got with my daughter was very little. But looking back, I know why I did it, and I know how. I had to make ends meet for my daughter, and to prove it to myself that I could run with the bulls. And I summoned the strength and bravery that was in my heart all along. I am after all, evolution’s greatest success story: Woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment